Resources for Research
The 1930s in Print
Advertisement in the Thirties
- Qualter, Terence H. Advertising and democracy in the mass age / Terence
H.Qualter. New York : St. Martin's Press, 1991.
- Norris, James D. Advertising and the transformation of American society,
1865-1920 / James D. Norris. New York : Greenwood Press, 1990.
- McAllister, Matthew P. The commercialization of American culture : new advertising,
control, and democracy / Matthew P. McAllister. Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage
- Frank, Thomas (Thomas C.) The conquest of cool : business culture, counterculture,
and the rise of hip consumerism / Thomas Frank. Chicago: University of Chicago
- Lears, T. J. Jackson, 1947- Fables of abundance : a cultural history of
advertising in America / by T.J. Jackson Lears. New York, N.Y. : Basic Books,
Book Reviews and Literature
- Comics the 9th art [videorecording], West Long Branch, N.J. : White Star, c1990. Clemons
Call No.: VIDEO .VHS6546
- Vance, Michael. Forbidden adventures: the history of the American Comics Group,
Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1996.
- Perry, George. The Penguin book of comics; a slight history, devised by George Perry and
Alan Aldridge. Edition: [Rev. ed.], Harmondsworth, Eng., Baltimore, Md., Penguin
- Steranko. The Steranko history of comics. [Reading, Pa., Supergraphics, 1970-].
- Krazy Cat
- Garraty, John Arthur: The Great Depression : an inquiry into the causes,
course, and consequences of the worldwide depression of the nineteen-thirties,
as seen by contemporaries and in the light of history, 1st ed., San Diego
: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, c1986.
- Lang, J. T. (John Thomas), 1876-1975. The great bust : the depression of
the thirties / J.T. Lang, Katoomba : McNamara's Books, 1980.
- Goldston, Robert C., The great depression : the United States in the thirties
/ by Robert Goldston. Edition: 1st Fawcett Premier ed., Greenwich, Conn. :
Fawcett Premier Books, 1970, c1968.
- Sternsher, Bernard, Hitting home; the Great Depression in town and country.Chicago,
Quadrangle Books, 1970.
- The New Deal Network
News and Historical Events
- Hoffman, Sylvan, News of the Nation, a newspaper history of the United States;
Sylvan Hoffman, editor; C. Hartley Grattan, associate editor. With a foreword
by Allan Nevins. New York, Prentice-Hall [c1943-47].
- The FBI's Famous Cases
Performing Arts, Drama
- Modern drama by women, 1880s-1930s : an international anthology / edited
by Katherine E. Kelly. London ; New York : Routledge, 1996.
- Scharine, Richard G. From class to caste in American drama : political and
social themes since the 1930s / Richard G. Scharine. New York : Greenwood
This document was last updated on March 29, 1998.