DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
BRYAN HALL 804-982-HEAR (TDD)
December 1, 1999
Associate Dean for Personnel and Planning
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
419 Cabell Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22903
I am writing to nominate myself for the National Endowment for the Humanities Distinguished Teaching Professorship at the University of Virginia.
Enclosed please find:
1) statement regarding my philosophy of teaching;
2) evidence of my dedication to the improvement of teaching;
3) record of experience in humanities courses;
4) project proposal;
5) letters of support from students (2) and from a colleague, John Sullivan;
6) brief curriculum vitae;
7) letter of support from the English Department Chair, Professor Gordon Braden.
For reasons having to do with the nature of my project, the integration of the new technologies into interdisciplinary Humanities study, and with the nature of my supporting evidence, I've also provided web-access to all materials save the letters of support at:
Some members of the committee may find it both more convenient and more informative to review my materials by that means.
Alan B. Howard
Associate Professor of English
Director, American Studies Programs