HTML Tagging Exercise:
We are going to convert a plain .txt edition of James Fenimore Cooper's The Pioneers to HTML. This is an important text for understanding the development of the idea of the West, especially for the collision of the ideas of nature and civilization, about which Cooper is terribly and representively confused. It is also a text that presents a number of potentialites as a hypertext.
The book is about 400 pages long, broken down into 61 chapters of roughly equal length or about 4 chapters apiece. I'll post a sign up sheet on my door; initial the chapters you want to take. To retrieve your chapters, point your browser at:
Cooper's The Pioneers
The browser will open on the contents of that folder; get your chapters up in netscape and then save each to a local drive.
- convert each chapter that is your responsibility from plain text to html by inserting the proper html codes;
- code the title of the chapter in H3;
- to create margins, set the whole chapter inside a table (to make this easier the first time around, click on 'view source' to see the table tags:
<--! text of the chapter goes here -->
- footnotes should go at the end of a chapter;
- italic passages should be handled with the tags.
- remember to save the final product as file type plain text, file extension .html