ENAM 484: Seminar in American Studies
Alan B. Howard
427 Bryan Hall
Office Hours: MW 2:00-3:30
924-6644 or firstname.lastname@example.org
syllabus version 1.3; last updated
| Class HomePage | Resource
| Workshop | Mail List for
American Studies |
| Bibliography |
General Statement of Purpose
Texts (available at University of Virginia Bookstore):
- W.J. Cash, The Mind of the South.*
*Recommended, not required.
Calendar of Meetings
1/19:Organization and Introduction
Sign up for individual conferences M-F of next week; sign up for scanning article; revise and repost final project from
ENAM 483 by 1/26.
Revisions of final project from ENAM 483 due 1/26.
- Edward Ayers, Introduction from
- Edward Ayers, What Do We Talk About When We Talk About
the South? from American Regionalism.
- Michael O'Brien, The Mind of the Old South and its Accessibility, from
Rethinking the South pp. 19-37. (C)
- John Shelton Reid, The South: Where is it? What is it?,
Southerners as an
American Ethnic Group, New South or No South, and Thoughts on the Southern
Diaspora, from My Tears Spoiled My Aim (C)
- David Singal, Cavalier Myth and Victorian Culture from the War Within:
Victorian to Modernist Thought in the South, 1919-1945, pp. 11-33. (C)
- C.Van Woodward, The Search for Southern Identity, The Historical
Dimension, and The Irony of Southern History from The Burden of Southern
Charles R. Wilson and William Ferris, eds., Encyclopedia of Southern
- Environment, pp. 315-321, Air Conditioning, pp. 321-323, Kudzu, pp. 383-384,
Landscape -- Cultural, pp. 533-541.
- History and Manners, pp. 583-594, Foodways, pp. 613-614, manners, pp. 634-637.
- Names, Personal, pp. 778-779, Names, Place, pp. 779-780.
- Mythic South, pp. 1097-1099, Stereotypes, pp. 1125-1127.
- note: The whole section on the Mythic South is useful and interesting.
- Social Class, pp. 1383-1389, Share cropping and Tenancy, pp. 29-31, Country Store, pp.
15-18, Photography and Photographers, pp. 94-100.
- Black Life, pp. 135-138, Black Literature, pp. 172-174, Ethnic Life, pp. 401-404, Folklife,
pp. 451-457, Folk Tales, pp. 477-478, Storytelling, pp. 488-492.
- Women's Life, pp. 1519-1526, Religion, pp. 1151-1159, Violence, Crime and Punishment, pp.
- Literature, pp. 839-844, Popular Literature, pp. 861-864.
- Media, 909-910, Comic Strips, pp. 914-915, Film, Documentary, pp. 918-920.
- Music, pp. 985-992, Leisure, pp. 1207-1209, Theme Parks, pp. 1243-1244, Wrestling, pp.
- Edgar Allen Poe, The Cask of the
Murders in the Rue Morgue, Ligeia.
- Longstreet, The Horse
Swap and The Fight
- George Washington Harris, Mrs. Yardley's Quilting.(C)
- Frederick Douglas, My
Escape From Slavery
- Charles W. Chesnutt, The Goophered
- Ellen Glasgow, A Point in
- George Washington Cable, The Masked Ball, from
Note: Sign up for individual conferences by 2/16
- John Crowe Ransom, A Statement of Principles from
I'll Take My Stand.
- Allen Tate, Ode to the Confederate Dead.
- Allen Tate,
Narcissus as Narcissus
- James Agee, Knoxville, 1915 from A Death in the Family.(C)
- William Faulkner, Was.
- Eudora Welty, Powerhouse.
- Eudora Welty, A Still Moment.
- Eudora Welty, A Worn Path.
- Eudora Welty, Place in Fiction
- Flannery O"Connor, A Good Man is Hard to Find,
- Flannery O"Connor, The Artificial Nigger.
- Ralph Ellison, The Battle Royal, from Invisible Man.(C)
- Tom Wolfe, The Last American Hero.
2/26: Individual Conferences.
3/4: Individual Conferences.
Spring Vacation: 3/9-3/17.
3/18: Workshop I:
- Muller, McClellan, Irons
- Ramsey, Dobson
3/25: Workshop I:
Note: I will be out of town 3/27-3/31.
4/1: Workshop I:
4/8: Workshop II:
NOTE: Editors are expected to lead the discussion of the project on the
day assigned it AND they are also expected to do a final editorial reading of the project prior to
- Monday: Stone Mountain. Editors: Semancik, Saviola, Nazarowitz.
- Wednesday: Uncle Remus. Editors: Lukas, Blake.
- Friday: Confederate Flags. Editor: Leigh.
......: Monument Avenue. Editors: Perella, Nordeman.
4/15: Workshop II:
- Monday: Quilts. Editor: Mullen.
- Wednesday: Blues. Editor: McLellan.
- Friday: Blake. Editor: Irons.
......: Albion's Seed. Editor: Ayers.
4/22: Workshop II:
- Monday: FSA Photography. Editor: Murray.
- Wednesday: Puddn'head Wilson. Editor: McCabe.
- Friday: Showboat. Editor: Ramsey
......, Inherit the Wind. Editor: Dobson
4/29: Last day of classes. We will meet in the Computer Classroom (Bryan 237) to look at all
NOTE: Sign up for project conferences.
4/30-5/3: Project Conferences.
5/3: Exams Begin
NOTE: Final Project due 5/8.
5/10: Exams End.
INDEX of AM484
Course Evaluation Form