HTML Tagging Exercise:
We are going to convert a plain .txt edition of Frances E.W. Harper's Leota Leroy: Or Shadows Uplifted, to HTML. This is an important text, one of the first novels published by an African-American woman in the United States.
The book has 33 chapters: most of you will work on three chapters. I'll post a sign up sheet on my door; initial the chapters you want to take. To retrieve your chapters, point your
The browser will open on the contents of that folder; cut and paste the chapters
you've chosen into a word processor and save each of the chapters to a floppy.
When you get ready to code, bring the file up in a text editor, code, and save
as a .txt file with an .html extension.
- convert each chapter from plain text to html by inserting the proper html
- chapter number in
- chapter title of the chapter in H3 and center;
- footnotes, if any, should go at the end of a chapter;
- italicized passages should be left with the conventional print italics.
- remember to save the final product as file type plain text, file extension
.html with the name ch01 etc.
- Put a BACK | FORWARD link at the end of the chapter and put in a link to the chapters preceeding and following your own.