- Notes on the United States of North America during a Phrenological Visit in 1838-40 by George Combe. (Arno Press, NY) 1974.
- Journey in North America by Alexander Boloni Farkas, trans., ed.,Theodore and Helen Benedek Schoenman. (The American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia) 1977.
- The Uncorrupted Heart, Journal and Letters of Frederick Julius Gustorf 1800-1845 by Frederick Julius Gustorf, ed. Fred Gustorf, trans. Fred and Gisela Gustorf. (U of Missouri P, Columbia, MO) 1969.
- The Aristocratic Journey: Letters of Mrs. Basil Hall written During a 14 Months' Sojurn in the United States by Margaret Hall, ed. Una Pope Hennessy. (Knickerbocker Press, New York) 1931.
- Men and Manners in America by Thomas Hamilton. (Johnson, NY) 1968.
- Fanny Kemble: Journal of a Young Actressby Fanny Kemble, ed, Monica Gough. (Columbia UP, New York) 1990.
- Lyell's Travels in North America in 1841-42 by Charles Lyell, ed. John P. Cushing. (Charles E. Merrill Co. NY) 1909.
- Society in Americaby Harriet Martineau, ed. Seymour Martin Lipset. (Transaction Books, New Brunswick) 1962.
Introduction ~ The Travelers and Their Writings ~ On the Road ~ Character ~ Habits
Education ~ The Press ~ Industry, Nature and Visions of the West