This page contains a list of resources used for this project as well as suggestions for future hypertext projects related to the study of the Characters who informed Tocqueville and Beaumont, which may be added to this site or stand alone.
The Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography. John S. Bowman, ed. Cambridge University Press, 1995.
Concise Dictionary of American Biography. Joseph Hopkins, ed. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1964.
- Dictionary of American Biography. Stephen Wagley, ed. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1964.
- Encyclopedia of American Biography. John A. Garraty and Jerome L. Sternstein, ed. New York: Harper Collins, 1996.
- National Portrait Gallery Permanent Collection Illustrated Checklist. Washington, D.C.: the Smithsonian Institution Press, 1987.
- Pierson, George Wilson: Tocqueville in America. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996 and Dudley C. Lunt, ed. Gloucester, MA: Peter Smith Publishing, 1969.
- Tocqueville, Alexis: Democracy in America. J.P. Mayer, ed. New York: Harper Perennial, 1988.
Suggestions for related sites or hypertext additions
Full-text version of George Wilson Pierson's Tocqueville in America scanned for web use, once copyright has expired.
- Full-text version of James Kent's Commentaries on American Law scanned for web use.
- An analysis of the texts Tocqueville consulted when writing Democracy in America, such as Kent's work and The Federalist Papers in addition to others. Scan fully or in portions for web use. This could be a version of "representative voices in print."