- the impact of the Nat Turner Insurrection in 1831 on the lives
- the lives of free Blacks in the South before the Civil War (like
- the issue of the black woman's sexuality and oppression by white
- the conflict between the "ideal" concept of motherhood (the "white"
standard) and the realities of slave motherhood;
- the issue of slave literacy (under what circumstances did slaves
learn to read and write? what were the consequences -- negative
and positive -- for literate slaves?);
- the origin of the word "Jim Crow" and how the Jim Crow laws came
into existence after the Civil War;
- Harriet Jacobs' life after she became free.