Historic Falls Church in Photographs, 1860-2000HomePrefaceTimelineLocal ResourcesCreditsHome  

The Falls Church Falls Church Presbyterian Church Dulin Methodist Church Cherry Hill Farmhouse Cherry Hill Barn Oakwood Cemetery Taylor's Tavern State Theatre


 
The Falls Church



The Falls Church, c. 1900
The Falls Church, c. 1900
The Falls Church, 2000PrefacePhotographsTaylor's TavernOakwood CemeteryDulin Methodist ChurchState TheatreFalls Church PresbyterianThe Falls ChurchCherry Hill BarnCherry Hill FarmhouseResourcesCreditsHome
The Falls Church, 2000 (Davis)



The Falls Church is located at Fairfax and South Washington Streets. The first church on the site was a wooden structure built in 1733. Originally known as the Upper Church, it was affiliated with the Church of England.

Architect James Wren designed and built the Georgian-style brick church between 1767 and 1769. The Falls Church was first a hospital, then a stable, during the Civil War. Additions in 1959 and 1992 have enhanced the building.


Kay Davis, University of Virginia, ©2001-2003