Abraham Redwood (1709-1788) was a philanthropist and a member of Newport's upper-class merchant society.
Redwood was influential in making Newport a cultural center in the Colonial Era. He formed the Philosophical Club with Henry Collins, Newport's eighteenth-century patron of the arts. The Philosophical Club later became the Redwood Library Company.
Redwood donated funds to the Redwood Library Company for the purchase of classic works of literature, history, religion, and the sciences. He donated land for the construction of Redwood Library (1748) to house those works. Newport architect Peter Harrison designed Redwood Library.
Redwood also gave money to the Society of Friends to open a school in Newport.