1895 to 1903, Wharton published a series of magazine articles
that became the books Italian Villas and Their Gardens
and Italian Backgrounds. In these works, Wharton examined
the relationships between garden design and architecture. (44)
With assistance from Hoppin & Koen and
Wharton's niece, Beatrix Jones Farrand, Wharton worked to create
gardens that would extend the house's symmetrical arrangement
into the landscape.
According to architectural historian Richard
Guy Wilson, The Mount's gardens have sources in the Villa Gamberaia,
the Villa Chigi, and the Villa Campi, which Wharton discussed
in Italian Villas and Their Gardens. (45)
The flower garden is located at the bottom of a hill to the
north of the terrace. The garden is a succession of rectangular
shapes with a central fountain.
Fountain in the Flower Garden
The garden contains a trellis niche, which
was popular in seventeenth- and eighteenth-century French and
Italian gardens. Codman designed the trellis niche for the garden
at Land's End, and Wharton transferred it to the flower garden
at The Mount.
Trellis Niche in the Flower Garden
A walled garden is connected to the flower garden by a path lined
with trees. The walled garden has a stone wall on the east side
with six arches. At the center is a circular pool with a fountain.
On the south and west walls are benches in niches. (46)
Wharton's niece, Beatrix Jones Farrand, designed the kitchen garden
near the stable in a symmetrical pattern.
Farrand's Drawing of the Kitchen Garden