- Aaron, Daniel. Writers on the Left. New York: Avon Books, 1969.
- Chase, Stuart. Mexico: A Study of Two Americas. New York: Macmillan Company, 1931.
- Cooney, Terry A. Balancing Acts: American Thought and Culture in the 1930s. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1995.
- Guimond, James. American Photography and the American Dream. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 1991.
- O'Connor, Francis V. Art for the millions; essays from the 1930s by artists and administrators of the WPA Federal Art Project. New York: New York Graphic Society, 1973.
- Pells, Richard H. Radical Visions and American Dreams: Culture and Social Thought in the Depression Years. Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1998.
- Susman, Warren, ed. Culture and Commitment: 1929-1945. New York: George Braziller, Inc., 1973.
- Wilson, Richard Guy. The Machine Age in America, 1918-1941. New York: Brooklyn Museum of Art in association with Harry N. Abrams, Inc. Publisher, 1986.
Murals and Diego Rivera
- Craven, David. Diego Rivera : As Epic Modernist. London: Prentice Hall International, 1997.
- Downs, Linda Bank. Diego Rivera : the Detroit industry murals. New York: Detroit Institute of Arts in association with W.W. Norton, 1999.
- Folgarait, Leonard. Mural painting and social revolution in Mexico, 1920-1940 : art of the new order. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Hurlburt, Laurance P. The Mexican Muralists in the U.S. Albuquerque : University of New Mexico Press, 1989.
- Kozloff, Max. "Rivera Frescoes of Modern Industry at the Detroit Institute of Arts: Proletarian Art Under Capitalist Patronage". Artforum. (November 1973 v 12).
- Lee, Anthony W. Painting on the Left: Diego Rivera, Radical Politics, and San Francisco's Public Murals. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1999.
- Marling, Karal Ann. Wall-to-Wall America : A Cultural History of Post-Office Murals in the Great Depression. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, 1982.
- McMeekin, Dorothy. Diego Rivera : science and creativity in the Detroit murals. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1985.
- Rivera, Diego. Portrait of America. New York: Covici, Friede, 1934.
- Rivera, Diego. "Dynamic Detroit-an Interpretation". Creative Art. (April 1933).
- Rochfort, Desmond. Mexican Muralists : Orozco, Rivera, Siqueiros. San Francisco : Chronicle Books, 1998.
- Rubyan-Ling, Saronne. "The Detroit Murals of Diego Rivera". History Today. (April 1996 v 46).
- Wolfe, Bertram David. Diego Rivera, His Life and Times. New York: A. A. Knopf, 1939.