The Yellow Pages -- History
- American Historical
- The journal of the American Historical Association celebrates
its centennial volume with online editorials and abstracts from
the articles included in the June and October issues.
- American Memory
- A digital collection of primary source materials from the Library of Congress. Browse collections by topic, search by keyword or take advantage of fun activities for kids or the classroom.
- On This Day
- Brought to you by the New York Times and The Learning Network, this site provides a list of events from this day in history as well as the option of reading historically relevant news articles
- Essays in
- This University of Virginia journal is fully online, with full
texts available from all issues since 1991. Contributing writers
are usually graduate students, but this does not necessarily
reflect upon its quality. Essays are focused upon various areas of
- Presidents of the United States
- A chronological list of presidents that gives biographical information, administration facts and other Internet resources.
- Valley of
- This project is a highly ambitious and continually evolving
study of the Civil War era as experienced by two communities on
either side of the Mason-Dixon Line. Specific historical events
are described, as well as the differing reactions from the two
communities and their individual residents. This project features
a wide array of primary materials including census records,
newspapers, and personal letters.
National Museum of American History
- This site includes a number of online galleries covering
topics from Cold War submarines to the feather trade.
- The American Local History
- The network provides links to independent historical sites,
organized by state or topic.
Archives and Records Administration
- The NARA Archival Information Locator (NAIL) is a search
engine for the National Archives, which includes over 58,000
images, 450 maps, and 22,000 text documents online.
- The Learning Network
- A virtual playground for the serious or casual historian. Includes features like "This Day in History," classroom lesson plans and slideshows. Explore historical issues in depth and watch as current events become a part of history.
Women's History: A Research Guide
- A considerable amount of bibliographical information is
organized in this online Research Guide.
August 6, 2001