Old Stone House (Poe Musuem)
Virginia Landmarks Register
October 16, 1973
National Register of Historic Places
November 14, 1973
1916 East Main Street
City of Richmond
Tour guides at the Poe Museum call the Old Stone House the oldest dwelling still standing in Richmond. An attempt to tie the history of the abode with the subject of its contemporary display space is made by pointing out Edgar Allan Poe's apparent escorting of the Marquis de Lafayette to the home for dinner. Today the structure houses several exhibits on the life and writings of the short-story writer, critic and poet.
TEXT OF ENTRY ON VIRGINIA LANDMARKS REGISTER
"This modest dwelling, beset by the workaday clatter of Shockoe Valley, is the capital's only remaining colonial-era house. Its enigmatic character has inspired has inspired much speculation, some suggesting that the house is of 17th-century origin. Recent dendrochronological study, however, indicates that the house was built ca. 1754. The uneven spacing of the openings, original hall-parlor plan, and dormered gable roof are features common to mid-18th-century vernacular houses. The earliest documented reference appears in the city land tax book for 1783, which records it as the home of Samuel Ege, a flour inspector. The property was acquired by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities in 1911 and in 1921 became part of a museum complex commemorating Edgar Allan Poe, who spent his youth in Richmond. The museum is operated by the Poe Foundation, Inc."