History at Crouch's Creek
Historical Highway Marker
Route 10 at Surry
Counted among the history at Crouch's Creek is the presence of poet and scholar George Sandys, who had substantial holdings in surrounding Surry County by 1625. Upon his return to England, Sandys published an English translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses in the late 1620s.
TEXT OF HIGHWAY MARKER
"Originally called Tappahannock Creek by the English, Crouch's Creek flowed through a number of early English settlements. By 1625 George Sandys had holdings in Surry County, known as Treasurer's Plantation, east of the creek. Sandys was a poet, a member of the Council of State, and treasurer of the Virginia Company. Returning to England by the late 1620s, he published an English translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses. Thomas Crouch patented land on the creek in 1638 and eventually the creek took his name. By 1702, a ferry operated between Jamestown and Crouch's Creek."