Historical Highway Marker
Virginia Landmarks Register
December 2, 1969
National Register of Historic Places
February 26, 1970
National Historic Landmark
November 7, 1973
John Esten Cooke also occupied this home in Clarke County after his brother Philip Pendleton Cooke, who was also a writer. The house is designated a landmark primarily for its history as a residence for Daniel Morgan, a Revolutionary War soldier who named it for the battle of Saratoga (the highway marker does not mention Cooke), but its literary merits are noted by in its Register description. John Esten Cooke was a prolific writer of historical biography and fiction.
TEXT OF HIGHWAY MARKER
"Built in 1782 by General Daniel Morgan and named for the battle of Saratoga, 1777. Hessian prisoners did the construction work. Lee had his headquarters here in June, 1863, on the way to Gettysburg."
TEXT OF ENTRY ON VIRGINIA LANDMARKS REGISTER
"Revolutionary War soldier Daniel Morgan had this Georgian mansion begun in 1779 while he was on leave from the war. He named it in honor of the battle of Saratoga in which he had distinguished himself as a military leader. The house probably was constructed by Hessian soldiers held prisoner in nearby Winchester. Recalled to active service in 1780, Morgan was made a brigadier general and won a brilliant victory against the British at Cowpens in South Carolina. In the antebellum period Saratoga was the home of Philip Pendleton Cooke, Virginia story writer and poet. It was later occupied by his brother, John Esten Cooke, historical novelist and biographer. The house is a distinguished example of the large stone plantation houses erected in the lower Shenandoah Valley in the late 18th century. The little-changed interior preserves paneled woodwork. On the farm are several early out-buildings."