Virginia Landmarks Register
May 20, 1975
National Register of Historic Places
May 30, 1976
South of Leesburg
This Gleedsville Road residence is noted as having held in safekeeping during the 1814 British occupation of Washington the nation's seminal governing documents: the Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Today it is a private residence.
TEXT OF ENTRY ON VIRGINIA LANDMARKS REGISTER
"Built in 1757 by Charles Binns II, first clerk of the circuit court of Loudoun County, Rokeby is the place where the Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution were stored for safekeeping in 1814 during the British occupation of Washington. The hallowed documents were kept in a still-intact vaulted room in the cellar. Much of its original Georgian character was changed in 1836 when, in the course of an extensive renovation by its owner, Benjamin Shreve, Jr., the clipped gables were removed, the windows were remodeled, and the interior trim was replaced. The house was enlarged in 1886 with an extensive rear addition and was returned somewhat to its early appearance during a 1958 restoration" (VLR 275).