1812 N. Jackson St.
Arlington, VA 22207
703. 812. 0574
The University of Virginia, M.A. in English/
American Studies 1998.
The University of the South, Sewanee, TN, B.A. 1997 cum laude.
Systems: Macintosh and Windows environments.
Internet: HTML, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash, RealPlayer, OCR, image scanning, Netscape Composer, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Microsoft Frontpage, Adobe Director.
Employment and Relevant Experiences:
- U.S.News & World Report, Washington, D.C.
- Associate Producer, USNews.com, October 1999- Present. Responsible for coordinating magazine and original content for Health, Travel, and Financial Aid channels of USNews.com, including a redesign of the front Health and Travel pages. Worked with programmers to develop new interactive tools. Led search for advisor for the Financial Aid online forum. Covered music for the magazine.
- Research Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Researcher, Summer 1999. Gathered statistical data on adoption requests 1921- 1948 from the National Archives for Julie Berebitsky, Ph.D., Department of History at the University of the South.
- On Location Education
- Tutor, November 1998- June 1999. Sole instructor for tenth grade curriculum including History, Literature, Math, and Science for a sixteen year-old pop singer as he traveled domestically and in Europe and Asia.
- UVA Writing Center, Charlottesville, VA
- Tutor, September 1997- May 1998. Tutored undergraduate and graduate students on written assignments. Led a seminar on analytical writing in classes outside the English Department.
- Sewanee Outing Program Pre-Orientation, Sewanee, TN
- Student Organizational Committee, Fall 1994- Fall 1996. With a team of four other students and the Program Director restructured the University's outdoor orientation for incoming freshmen focusing on student leadership and safety. Led panel discussion on developing similar programs at the 1995 International Council on Outdoor Recreation and Education.
- Quidnunc Cafe, Sewanee, TN
- Assistant manager and pizza chef, October 1995- May 1997
- Sewanee Young Writers Conference, Sewanee, TN
- Counselor, Summers 1995, 1996. Supervised students in dorms and assisted in editing written assignments.
- WUTS Radio Station, Sewanee, TN
- Performance Director, Fall 1994- Winter 1996. Planned and promoted on-campus musical performances and on-air interviews for touring national acts.
Honors and Activities:
- Wilkins Scholar, 1993-1997
- Academic and leadership scholarship awarded to only 25 students
per class at the University of the South.
- Order of the Gownsmen, 1994-1997
- Academic honor society and branch of the student government at
the University of the South.
- Site of the Day
- The Scalphunters
- Sewanee Popular Music Association, 1995-1996
- President, responsible for booking and promoting performers for the university and for preparing annual budget.
- Sewanee Purple,1994-1997
- Regular music columnist for the campus newspaper.
American Studies Projects
American Studies @ UVA Homepage