SECTIONAL VIEW OF THE EARTH
OPENINGS AT THE POLES
EXPLANATION OF THE PLATE
Fig. 1. Rays of the sun when in the equator, refracted 3 degrees.
2. Moon's rays in 28 degrees north declination.
3. Sun's rays in 9 degrees south declination.
4. Sun's rays in 23 degrees.
5. Moon's rays in 28 degrees.
6. Sun's rays in 23 degrees 27' south declination, refracted 3 degrees.
7. Supposed place of Belzubia.
8. Place of exile.
10. Token Island.
11. Seaborn's Land.
The above diagram was included in Symzonia, by Capt. Adam Seaborn, most probably a pseudonym used by Capt. John Cleves Symmes, mastermind behind the Theory of Concentric Spheres. A diagram of Symmes' Theory would be more elaborate than the above diagram (it would picture the earth as a series of doughnuts), but the diagram here adequately represents the prospect of a hollow earth with inhabitable regions within.
Table of Contents