The flag of the4th Infantry Regiment is a Van Dorn pattern battle flag. It had a red field adorned with thirteen white stars arranged in five rows, with a white crescent in the upper corner. It also has a yellow border. A number of Trans-Mississippi commands used this flag. When General Van Dorn brought his regiments to the east of the side of the river in 1862 to join Beauregard's army at Corinth, Mississippi, they brought these flags with them and fought under them at the battle of Corinth in October of that year.
The 4th Infantry Regiment completed its organization in April, 1862 with men from Springfield and the surrounding area. Most all of its members served in the Missouri State Guard. It moved east of the Mississippi River, took an active part in the Battles of Iuka and Corinth, then was assigned to Bowen's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. It participated in various conflicts during the Vicksburg operations and was captured in July, 1863. Exchanged and assigned to General Cockrell's Brigade, the 4th was consolidated with the 1st Missouri Regiment. This command fought in the Atlanta Campaign, was part of Hood's operations in Tennessee, and became part of the forces defending Mobile. It totaled 547 effectives in May, 1862, and reported 15 killed, 87 wounded, and 27 missing at Corinth. During the Atlanta Campaign, May 18 to September 5, the 1st/4th had 12 killed, 87 wounded, and 27 missing and sustained 38 casualties in the fight at Allatoona. Only a remnant surrendered in May, 1865. The field officers were Colonel Archibald Macfarlane, Lieutenant Colonel Waldo P. Johnson, and Major Stephen W. Wood.