The 4th Virginia Cavalry Regiment, Company E is also known as the Powhatan Troop from Powhatan County, Virginia. It was formerly known as Capt. John F. Lay's Co. VA Cav. The regiment completed its organization at Sangster's Cross Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, in September, 1861. The unit was assigned to General J. E. B. Stuart's, F. Lee's, Wickham's, and Munford's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. This company was detached from the 4th regiment in 1861 and attached to General Beauregard's Headquarters. (1st Corps, Army of the Potomac) until ordered to the regiment in January 1882. It participated in the Battle of Williamsburg, the Seven Days' Battles, and the Second Manassas and Maryland campaigns. Later the unit was involved in the conflicts at Fredricksburg, Kelly's Ford, Chacellorsville, Brandy Station, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, Mine Run, The Wilderness, Todd's Tavern, Spotsylvania, Haw's Shop, and Bethesda Church. The 4th went on to fight in the Shenandoah Valley with Early and around Appomattox. It totaled 450 effectives in April, 1862, and lost about three percent of the 544 engaged at Gettysburg. After cutting through Federal lines at Appomattox, it was broken up. Only 2 members were present at the surrender. The filed officers were Colonels Stephen D. Lee, William H. Payne, Beverly H. Robertson, William C. Wickham, and W. B. Wooldridge; Lieutenant Colonels Charles Old and Robert Randolph; and Majors Alexander M. Hobson and Robert E. Utterback.