The Yellow Pages -- Southern Studies
the American South (DAS)
- Sponsored by the Academic Affairs Library at the University of
North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Provides digitized primary sources on
Southern history and culture.
Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive
- McCain Library and Archives site, University of Southern
Mississippi. Provides archival resources on race relations in
Mississippi, including oral histories of civil rights leaders.
and Southern Society Project
- Sponsored by the University of Maryland, the National
Endowment for the Humanities, and the National Historical
Publications and Records Commission. Documents the history of
emancipation from 1861 through 1867.
- National Park Service site. Includes maps, education
resources, collections, current field work, glossary, and
- United States Civil War
- This Louisiana State University site includes an index of
Civil War information on the Internet, a cemetery database, and
links to interdisciplinary work.
Davis Collection of African-American Educational Photographs
- This University of Virginia site documents southern education
during the first half of the 20th century through the digitized
collection of photographer Jackson Davis. Includes a searchable
- Fiddle Tunes
of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection
- Library of Congress American Memory site. Includes sound
recordings, fieldnotes, and musical transcriptions.
Vintage Fiddlers Oral History Project
- University of Kentucky project documenting various Kentucky fiddlers and fiddle styles. Includes
library of sound recordings and photographs.
- The Mississippi:
River of Song
- Smithsonian Institution series about contemporary music along
the Mississippi River. Web site produced by PBS.
Architects of the Mississippi
- This National Park Service site explores the history of the
mound builders in the lower Mississippi Delta region.
the Georgia-Florida Coast
- National Trust for Historic Preservation site. Includes a map,
teaching materials, and tours of historic Miami and St. Augustine.
- The website of the Eastern Kentucky documentary film company dedicated to
celebrating and documenting Appalachian culture.
Through Hallowed Ground
- National Trust for Historic Preservation site. Features
historic places along Route 15 in Virginia's Piedmont.
for the Study of Southern Culture
- This University of Mississippi site contains information about
the institute, conferences, publications, merchandise, and the
southern media archive.
- Center for the Study
of the American South
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, site.
- Birthplace of Country Music Alliance
- Organization devoted to celebrating Bristol and the surrounding area's role in the development of country music.
Includes information about their museum and scheduled events.
- Institute for Southern
- This University of South Carolina site offers
institute-specific information including programs of study and a
- Birmingham Civil Rights
- Birmingham, Alabama, institute dedicated to the study of race
relations in the South in the 1950s and 1960s. Site includes guide
to permanent exhibitions and archives.
- Museum and White House of the
- Richmond, Virginia, museum site dedicated to the study of
Civil Rights Museum
- Memphis, Tennessee, museum site. Includes museum tour and
- National Park Service exhibition about Booker T. Washington,
George Washington Carver, and the Tuskegee airmen.
Those Days: African-American Life Near the Savannah River
- National Park Service site dedicated to the study of the
cultural history of the upper Savannah River in the central
Piedmont of South Carolina and Georgia.
- The Atlanta
- Atlanta, Georgia, newspaper.
- Southern Living
- A cut-down of the print issue: articles on architecture, food,
travel, and gardening.
- The Southern
- "A Journal of the Arts in the South." Published by the
University of Southern Mississippi.
- "Dedicated to the exploration of what makes the South the
South." Published by the University of North Carolina Press.
Local Confederate Monument on the Battlefield of the Public
- Discusses the significance of the Confederate monument during
the period of Reconstruction.
- Mardi Gras
- Includes parade schedule, Mardi Gras history, costuming tips,
and Mardi Gras pictures and lingo.
- Barbecue: A
Southern Cultural Icon
- University of Virginia American Studies site on barbecue and
its place in southern foodways.
June 20, 2002