Guidelines for Contributors
Callaloo is a journal devoted to creative work by and critical studies of the work of African-Americans and peoples of African descent throughout the African Diaspora. Visual art and studies of life and culture in the Black world are also published regularly in Callaloo, as is wide-ranging cultural criticism. Callaloo is published quarterly (Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall), and accepts original submissions of essays, interviews, short fiction, poetry, drama, and visual art. We do not accept any unsolicited material that has been previously published.
- All submitted material must include either an e-mail address or a self-addressed envelope ( SAE ) with loose postage adequate for a letter notifying you of our decision.
- All manuscripts must be submitted in triplicate, and must NOT bear the author's name or any other identifying information about the author. This enables our readers to review manuscripts blindly. We cannot begin the review process until we have received all three copies.
- Please include a cover letter listing the titles of the submitted works, and detailing all relevant contact information for the author, including an e-mail address if available.
- Each individual copy of essays, short stories, multiple-page poems, or other longer prose manuscripts should be stapled.
- The maximum word limit for any one manuscript is 10,000 words (approx. 25 single-spaced pages, 12 point font).
- Please do not submit more than ten poems in a single submission, and be certain to place no more than one poem on each page.
- Artwork should be submitted as prints or slides. Artwork need not be submitted in triplicate. Photos should be submitted as 4 x 7 or larger prints (nearly all photos appear in the journal in black and white).
- Bibliographies and documented material should follow the MLA Style Manual (most recent edition).
- We currently do not accept submissions via e-mail or fax transmission. (We may make exception for persons submitting from overseas. Call or e-mail to inquire if this is applicable to you.)
- Please do not send revisions during the time your manuscript is being reviewed; these will not be considered.
The editors do not assume responsibility for loss or damage to materials submitted. Nor do the editors, staff, or financial supporters assume any legal responsibility for materials published in the journal. Materials published in the journal do not necessarily represent the views of the editors, staff, and financial supporters.
Please send submissions to the following address:
Department of English
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4227
Please direct queries by surface mail to the above address or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .